Monday 12 July 2010

The Fury of the Rojas



“Josh, haven’t you slept yet?”

It was 5:30 AM. Mom just woke up. She always checks on me and turns off the air-conditioning unit. However, in this rare occasion, I am also awake.

“Yeah, I’ll sleep now. Can you leave the aircon on for me?”

“Sure, son… just go to sleep… This football thing is over yeah?” she asked.

I nodded. It’s the FIFA World Cup 2010 Final between Netherlands and Spain. I was having a hard time streaming it because of the uber slow Smart Bro connection, but I had to watch this match along with about 700 million people across the world.

My top 2 bets were England and Germany because of the ties I had with these two countries. However, when Germany defeated England, and Spain defeated Deutschland, I had to search for another EU country, which would then be Spain. And of course, the their players were also hotter to begin with.

How are my cousins and titas in Spain, I wondered. The streets must be full of drunkards celebrating the country’s first ever World Cup win. Oh how I wish I am in Barcelona right now. I can chant along with them, with red, yellow, and orange colors scattered around the nation. For now, it can indulge itself with a lot of beer and fiestas. Viva La Furia Roja!

No comments: