Thursday 15 July 2010

A Day with Basyang


11:00 AM. I had a very vivid dream. I stood up groggily and headed for the light switch.

Click. No response from my room’s light bulb. Damn it, there’s still no power.

Me, along with 14 million Manilenyos, were caught by surprise when Typhoon Basyang made a direct hit at the capital. It’s like Milenyo all over again. It seems PAGASA is like making paasa indeed. Thank God President Aquino reprimanded them.

I had to reach out for my glasses. Damn, there it was…. a 6-inch crack right at my window. Damn it. I had to tell Mom later that it wasn’t my fault. It was Wind’s.

1 message received. It’s from Trix, my college best friend.

“Let’s go out. I am so bored.”

Ok then. Time to visit Libis.
-----

Yehes, there’s electricity in Trix’s house. Good thing I brought all of my gadgets and chargers with me.

“You are such a dakilang user, Josh,” she said in a very sarcastic tone.

“I know, I know, and I am proud of it. Thanks Trix. Hahaha!” I said, leaving Trix even more frustrated with me.

To keep her busy while waiting my cellphones and iPod to get fully charged, we played a few rounds of her Quidditch board game. It didn’t help much since I kept on winning. So I decided to take her dog for a walk outside. Damn. That dog ran like a freaking cheetah hunting for its prey.

“Let’s go to Eastwood,” I said, panting…. Damn that dog.
-----

“Wow Josh, I can’t believe you are so good at this!”

I was teaching her how to play DJ Max Technika, my current favorite arcade game. Good thing there’s electricity in Eastwood, or else I might have gone wild altogether. While she struggled with the red notes, I pressed them all with ease, at a rate of 8 notes per second.

“Trust me, wait ‘til you see my friend. He’s a monster.”

“Haha, you're already a monster to me. Let’s eat then… I am hungry!” she said.
-----

“So, are you really leaving for London?” she asked while munching her McDo Cheeseburger.

“I’m just waiting for the final confirmation from my school,” I said. I really love Trix. She’s the friend I can confide the most about. And thanks to her, what might have been a boring day became a day full of laughter and coeur-to-coeur talk. I will really miss her if ever my further studies plan will push through. Well, she was supposed to take courses in the US this July, but personal problems made her postpone her plans. So, it's just me who will venture in a new land.

“Josh, we should set a despedida or something! How about Subic next week?!” Trix’s eyes gleamed with excitement.

“I’d love to… but-“

“No buts! I will text Kaye, Nica, and Claire right away!” If Trix wants something done, she gets it done. Seems I will have to shed off some pounds before the date.

“Let’s go back to your place shall we… maybe there’s already internet?” I requested.

“Oh Josh, the dakilang user…” she jested. “But seriously, I will miss you…”

“Come on. It’s still too early for that.” But I can feel it… the possibility of being away forever… well, not really forever… but for a long time. 5 years?
-----

Much to Trix’s dismay, there’s already net at her home, and I got to plurk, tweet, and FB about the nasty effects the typhoon has left Manila. I did a bit of tumblring before my sister texted. “There’s already electricity here.” Yeepee. She snorted when I was bidding her farewell.

“Bye user! Finally, I can pack my things for my Cagayan de Oro trip tomorrow!”

“Oh yeah, I forgot… Your flight’s 4AM right? Good luck! Haha!”

“Damn you Josh. Just go look for London flats at home, will ya?!” Oh fuck. I forgot. I have to starting looking for accommodation if I want to have a place to live if ever I arrive there next month.

“Don’t forget next week’s Subic Josh. We’re excited for it!” She ushered me to my car.

“Fine fine… see ya then!” And off I zoomed.

No comments: