Monday 29 November 2010

Suicidal Ground


“We apologize for the severe delays happening on the Central Line because of a fatality in Tottenham Court Road.”

As the announcement resonated along the place, gasps can be heard at the platform in Marble Arch. I could just imagine the horror people were witnessing as someone was just lying there, crushed beneath the train just 3 stations away from us.

I was in that area because I was supposed to return a pair of leather shoes that I bought from Primark, but they deemed it “unsellable”. Grrr.

Not to sound mean or anything, but I am running late for work, and this fatality is causing all this hassle.

It is not uncommon to hear about people killing themselves on the Tube. Last week, three fatalities were recorded on a single day. It is my first time to be on the line itself, experiencing delays because of someone who jumped just a couple of minutes ago.

Goodness. Is London really that stressful?

Yes, it is.

One of the fatalities last week was found out to be in a state of crisis when his business was going bankrupt.

I don’t have anything against them. It’s just daft to drag thousands of people along with their personal problems. All of the suicides last week occurred during rush hour. Major delays on three lines seriously crippled the aging transport network.

Today’s no exception. Great. Why don’t they do it in the comforts of their own home instead? I was just about to exit the platform to catch a bus instead when an empty train zoomed and gradually stopped inside the station.

“This train is ready to depart. Stand clear of the doors please.”

Finally, after 10 minutes, the train finally continued its journey. Yes, I will just be in the nick of time to work.

As the future is getting mistier by the second, I just hope that my soul would not end up wandering around the dark and damp underground lines. Good vibes, good vibes.

No comments: