Thursday 4 November 2010

Cold Platform



22:29 train to London Marylebone.... Drat. I still have to wait 20 minutes.

Since Central line trains are severely delayed and will be terminating at White City, I have to walk across the flyover just to get to the National rail platform.

I sat at the bench on the platform waiting for the Chiltern train. God, that Black Brit was talking very loudly on the phone. I can hear what he was saying even though he's two platforms away.

15 minutes... Hell I'm freezing. Why the heck was the waiting room closed? Didn't they expect that some bloke will travel to central London at this time?

Apparently not, I guess.

10 minutes. Damn it. Wind's getting stronger. I took out my phone and took some vain shots.


Great for killing time, I mumbled.


I think I was too busy adjusting the phone's angle, since I was utterly shocked when I heard a human voice just a few feet away from me.

""Scuse me mate, is this goin' to the City?"

I tried not to show that I was stunned, but apparently, it didn't work 'cause he apologised right after.

Studying his expression, he seems a bit lost. This 5'9" 20-ish lad with above average features just looked at me. I can see bewilderment and confusion in his eyes.

"Yes it is." I quickly replied. He might suspect I'm looking at him very intently. Well, there is a good reason though. I can't stop myself from looking at his blue gray eyes.

He sat down the opposite end of the bench I was sitting in.

7 minutes left. Faster train... God knows if his handsome bloke belongs to a gang or something.

"Stupid strike, innit? I have to wait 20 mins for the next Central line train. So I bet this will be faster."

I nodded, but didn't expound anymore. Yes, there will be a Tube strike starting tonight and it will end tomorrow evening. It's been going on for two months, and it concerns some unions who oppose job cuts within the Transport for London.

Lucky me I don't have classes tomorrow... Unlucky for the normal commuters though.

"Goin' to a party in central?" The lad asked.

"No, I live in the southeast so I have to take another train there."

"Wow, that's far mate... So what brings you here?" He said this with his eyes fixed on mine. Tsk... I can feel my heart beating a bit faster.

"I work here. Kinda ironic isn't it?"

"Yeah it is... but you do what you have to do... with unemployment soaring, you have to be thankful that you have work, mate."

Hmmm, interesting. He's more clever than I thought. Not to come up as arrogant, but I rarely get conversations like these.

"Agree. You goin' to party?" I asked. That's what Brit boys do usually... party, party and more party.

"No, I'm going home actually. I live in Havering."

My eyes widened. "That's farther than my place, mate. It's like the other side of London altogether!"

"Yeah, but my girlfriend lives here, so I need to do what I have to do." He said it with a mixture of disappointment and delight.

Girlfriend, eh? Bummer. Oh well. Not as if I care. But why do I seem to care. I just met him like 5 minutes ago.

I looked at my watch. 22:30.... Where the bloody hell is the train?

I then looked at the electronic noticeboard. Expected time: 22:45.

Oh dear. 15 minutes more. I started to feel uncomfortable with my surroundings. I just want to be alone.

"Delayed... this is rubbish." the lad muttered.

"Well, you might as well take the Central line," I said. Not that I was pushing him away, but the sooner I'm alone, the better. Talk about being a loner.

"Well no worries, I'm fine here. But how 'bout you? I'll just keep you company."

Good thing the lights on the platform were dim, or else he might see my cheeks that have the potential to scream: "I'm blushing!"

"Nah, I'm fine!" But as soon as I said that, my teeth chattered. Oh great.

"You're cold! Come sit beside me then."

I hesitated. But after a few seconds, I slowly inched myself closer... Without warning, he put his right arm across my shoulder. God, what is breathing. Didn't inhale or exhale for a couple of seconds.

And then, my heart stopped when I felt a knife edge piercing at my jumper and he uttered the next few words that just got me paralysed.

"This is a hold up mate... Give me your phone and wallet."
-----

BEEP BEEP

I quickly glanced at the direction where the sound came from.

It was the train, apparently.

I looked around. No Brit lad. No knife. Nothing. It was just the train, the platform, and me.

"Damn, it was just a dream," I muttered, as I hopped on the train.

3 comments:

Josh said...

bakit ka napatawa? haha

André said...

So you would prefer that it happen for real? Haha.

Josh said...

Yes Grey. I really hoped that it happened for real... well, except for the hold-up part. Haha