Monday 22 November 2010

A Film Date?



“Are you sure?” I asked for the third time.

“Yeah, I am. So if you’re not coming, then, no problem, I’ll just watch alone.” Art was persistent.

It was kind of sudden, just like the last friendly meet-up in Kensington. This time, he was inviting me to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows with him. He invited Gene and Tina as well, but they’re lazy to go out today, as they were working all day yesterday (that's what he said).

So, apparently, it would just be me and him again…. If I say yes.

“So, what? I need to check if there’s a showing in The O2.”

“Fine, fine… See ya later at 2PM, North Greenwich.” Wow, I just blurted it out.

“That’s great! See ya later then. Bye!” Beep. Silence.

It has been a few weeks since I last saw him. I still remember the incident in my house. He knows all of my Bare songs. What could it possibly mean, really?

I can’t blame anybody else if I were to fall for the same trap as other gays out there. Constantly pursuing a ‘straight’ man. Oh the thought of it is cringing in its own way.
-----

1:30PM. Damn, I am too early again.

I was walking inside The O2 Arena. London’s version of the Araneta Coliseum never failed to impress. Restaurants can be found on both sides of the pathway. And it's awfully more spacious than The Dome, threefold.

World class events are held here. Take for example the ATP Finals Tour being held this week, where the top 8 tennis players from all over world gather in this massive tournament.

Growl. My stomach was rumbling as I was window shopping for ATP memorabilia. Bad timing.

I had to settle for Nando’s because it’s the cheapest resto I can find.

I took out my mobile and replied to Art’s latest message. Meet me in Nando’s. I’ll eat my lunch first.
-----

“Yum, yum, creamy mash!”

I heard Art’s voice getting closer as he walked to my table. He’s looking as dorky as ever with that coat he’s wearing.

“Wait, just let me finish,” I said as I gulped the last spoonful of the resto’s signature mashed potato with butter.

"Long time no see! How's it going?" Art took a seat opposite mine.

"Heto, still job hunting," I sighed. As much as possible, I wanted to find a new one that would replace my kitchen porter position.

"Nah, don't worry, you'll find one soon. Just don't give up your job until you're not assured of another one."

"Yea, I know. I have common sense, you know. C'mon, let's go then! Next show starts at 3PM."
-----

“Sorry, your student cards are not valid. We only accept NUS cards,” the ticket seller said.

I handed the money in disbelief. Students were supposed to be entitled to a discount when buying film tickets, but apparently, they don’t accept our IDs. So we had to pay about 1.50 extra.

The snacks were expensive as well. 2 large cups of Coke and a large popcorn for a tenner…. 700 pesos down the drain. And yes, I still convert up to this day.

We entered Cinema 7. It was as big as the cinemas in Eastwood. Oh I miss those. One ironic thing is that it’s hot and toasty inside, so we can take off our coats and jumpers.

I was a bit too excited in blabbering to Art about how British adverts differ from the ones in Manila. The screen was crystal clear… no lines at all coming from the projector. The way of showing trailers was different as well. In the UK, it will be trailers, then adverts, then trailers again. And yeah, it took like 20 minutes before the show really started.
-----

“Oh! It’s Shaftesbury Avenue,” I exclaimed to Art. Harry and the gang were walking past by the famous Sanyo logo in Piccadilly Circus.

I felt embarrassed though as a few of the film viewers looked at our direction. I think I said it a bit too loud.

“Shhh Josh! Act like a Londoner. Haha!” He seemed to be enjoying my embarrassment as he kept on snickering on the side.

“What can I do? I’ve been to that place! I must feel proud!” I reiterated.

“Haha, suit yourself, mate.” He then messed my hair up playfully. I can feel a tingling sensation from my heart.

As the show went on, it seemed weird but magical at the same time when we laughed at the funny scenes at the same time. Like the time when the trio infiltrated the Ministry of Magic. We kept on laughing and looking at each other.

My heart kept on fluttering when our hands sometimes brush whenever I had to get a handful of popcorn. He didn’t mind, and I didn’t mind as well. I swear that I was not doing it on purpose.

And then, after Voldemort grabbed the Elder Wand from Grindelwald, the lights were back on.
-----

“Come on Art, please?” I pleaded.

We were back in the booths outside The O2 that sells ATP memorabilia. Since Barclays are the main sponsors of the tournament, account holders can get a free USB. I was pleading him to get one for me.

“Nah, I am shy to do just that. Ever see people redeeming them?” He pointed to the booth. There wasn’t any queue at all.

Tsk. After a couple more minutes of persuading, I finally gave up. I just went to the shirt section to look and window shop.

“Hey Josh, since it’s still early, wanna go to Canary Wharf?” He was walking briskly towards me.

“Fine, I guess. I just wish I get to watch Federer and Nadal battle it out,” I said with disappointment. Ticket prices are at £20 the minimum.
-----

We were walking outside Canary Wharf station. It’s basically like London’s version of Makati or Fort Bonifacio. Tall corporate buildings were housed there, with businessmen from all backgrounds walking past us on their way home.

“I’ve been dreaming of working here,” I blurted out. We were strolling inside a park in the middle of the urban jungle. I am currently working as a kitchen porter and an order taker. If I had stayed in Manila, would I be working like a corporate yuppie in Paseo de Roxas?

“Same here. I really can’t believe that the future is getting bleaker,” he sighed. News came out last week that the British government are planning to decrease net migration drastically by cutting the routes to permanent residency and citizenship.

“Well then, if we are not welcome here, what can we do? Let’s just move to another country then,” I replied. The Christmas lights in the park were flickering, as if it’s motioning me to think about my decision very carefully.

“Can I ask you something Josh?” Art said in a very serious tone.

I froze up. I didn’t know why, but there was something in this tone that made me think that what was coming was a dreaded question.

“Where can I buy some combs? Tita’s asking me to buy one.”

Pucha. That’s it? Why say it very seriously?

“Well, let‘s go to Boots then.” I pointed to the Jubilee Place Shopping Centre, just a few yards away.

After buying his comb, and strolling a bit more, it was time to go home.

“Take care Josh, see ya in the second term,” he said.

“See ya, Art.” I gave him a hi-5 before we parted ways. His hands were a bit bigger than mine. It felt warm as well. Lol.
-----

It was such a tiring but fun day. I was about to fall asleep in the DLR train to Lewisham, when my mobile phone beeped.

1 Message from Art

Hey Josh, thanks for today. I really enjoyed it. Take care!

I tried to think what to reply so that it wouldn’t seem too obvious, but in the end, what I’ve come up was so generic that I felt bad for myself.

Same here Art. What a great day. Take care as well. Cheers!

Message Sent.

No comments: