Sunday 7 November 2010

Thoughts from Trafalgar


Damn it, I am still early for my shift.

It was only 4:50, yet the sun was already gone.

I was walking past by the National Portrait Gallery. Should I enter or not?

Nah… One hour is not enough. Work starts at 6.

With the paper in my hand, I traversed down the steps to the majestic plaza, with tourists taking their pics in the world famous Trafalgar Square.

No pigeons. Great. I still have extra bread crumbs with me. The government banned the feeding of pigeons a few years ago. But seriously, why can’t they make it like the piazza in front of the Duomo in Milan?

Three months. Time flies like a hawk. I can’t believe that 90 days had already passed.

 I sat by the fountains as I watched some crazy American teens taking their pics and listened to their American twang.

What happened to me within those three months? I thought of all the good things, and the bad.

What a naïve boy I was.

I came here thinking that life will be great since I am in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. But then again, constraints and reality hit me hard… really hard.

I got derailed.

I do not know what to do actually. I am not sure how this will take shape, especially if my status here is uncertain.

Uncertainty coupled with being alone in a foreign land. Lovely.

Before I can think of anything else, I caught a glimpse of the Big Ben about half a mile away. It was already 15 before 6.

Off I go to work then. I’ll just have to pwn my upcoming term break.

No comments: