Thursday 2 December 2010

Inside a Snowglobe


RING RING

It was 7:30 in the morning. Who the hell is calling at this time in the morning? I checked to see who it was.

It was Tina.

I picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Hey Josh. What room are we in later?”

“Room 33. What’s up?”

“Is it snowing there? It’s snowing heavily here…” she said. I looked outside, and there it was. Flurries. I was about to scream, but then, I remembered my 2 roomies sleeping on the top bunk.

“Yeah, it’s snowing here as well!” I whispered excitedly. “I’ll see you in class, yea?”

“Ok then. See ya Josh!”
-----


I kept my composure as the bloke beside me kept on eyeing me. No, I didn’t think he was checking me out.

I bet he was finding it funny that I’m taking videos and pics of the snow from inside Bus 68 bound for Euston.

See, for a Filipino, snow doesn’t come by naturally. Our Christmas time is like, what… 30 degrees Celsius? And how cold is it to be for snow to form? About 0.

It’s practically my second time to experience snow… First time was 2 years ago, in Europe as well.

All the while, I thought that Britain doesn’t experience harsh winter conditions. Well, that was what the locals have thought as well, 3 years ago. Basically, warm current from the Atlantic keeps the Isles warm. However, maybe because of global warming, the warm currents started to dissipate, and the cold Arctic wind started to push the harsh weather down to the continent 2 years ago.

So poof. More snowy days to come, and I am really giddy about it. Not so much for other Londoners.

More delays, more cancellations, more disruptions.

But for me, snow keeps me relaxed. Back in Manila, I like the rain because it emits a special soothing feeling that keeps me cosy. Snow has the same effect for me here.

And good thing I left a bit earlier than usual, since traffic was hell en route to Elephant and Castle!
-----

“It’s like we’re in a snowglobe,” I said to my marketing professor after class.

“First time to see snow, yeah? Yeah it’s pretty, but after a while, it will be a pain for you to go to your appointments,” she said.

I have to say, snow is still snow. It is the time where snow angels can be made on the floor, and the time where skating on the open air is the in thing.

“Hey, let’s eat! I’m starving,” said Art. It’s only Tina, him, and I in class. Gene was moved to another section, so we won’t be seeing her this term. Sad boy.

And guess where we ate…. Nando’s. Again.

Nothing really much happened aside from doing some catching up. We were about to go out when Art’s mobile beeped.

1 New Email

As he was reading his mail, Art’s face changed from being giddy to being serious and apprehensive.

“What’s wrong Art?” Tina asked.

I sat beside Art and tried to find out what the message was. As I was reading it, I think my face also changed. It’s from the school.

“Dear Mr. de Guzman,

Starting today, you will be transferred to Block C. Here is the new timetable… (cont’d)”

I just stared at the mail in disbelief.

I won’t see Art for the whole term. This is… madness.

No comments: