Wednesday 15 December 2010

Cater Falter


It was only 5:30 when I arrived at South Kensington station. I decided to check out the place I will be catering for the next four hours.

Yes, I finally found another job that would replace my kitchen porter job in that Japanese restaurant.  I’ve managed to kick it up a notch…. Catering and waiting for private parties or big events.

Ice Rink Café… this must be it.

While killing time, I decided to take some pictures and watch the people skating in open air. I missed ice skating. Last time I did it with Sarah and the gang was about 2 years ago in the Olympic-sized rink in SM MoA.

5:45. My colleague from Domino’s texted me. He’s ready to give me his smartphone tomorrow. I bought it for £170… not bad since it’s currently £350 in the market.

5:50. I entered the café. I asked the barista on the counter what I was supposed to do. She told me to just wait on the couches by the rear end.

I sat down, feeling nervous. I don’t have any experience in waiting or serving other people in a formal manner. It’s basically my first time to do this.

“Hey. Are you for the event later?” I looked around. And there he was standing just a few feet from me…. a blonde haired guy wearing a red jacket, about 5’8”, with deep blue eyes, and a boyish face. Oh my weakness.

“Yeah I am,” I finally replied. “Are you here to work as well?”

“Yea. Name’s Olya.” He reached out his hand.

“It’s Josh.” We shook hands. I felt a bit embarrassed though because my hand’s a bit cold from the weather outside.

“Are you a newcomer?” He asked.

“Yeah, my first time. How about you?”

“I think about the 7th time. And it’s my second time at this place.”

“Wow, wicked. Teach me later, ok?” I laughed a bit.

“Sure, no problem, no problem.” He smiled back. Oh what is cuteness. “Where are you from?”

“I’m from the Philippines. And le’ me guess… are you from Russia?”

“Yeah, how’d you know?” he seemed shocked but fairly amused at the same time.

“Oh, I just know how to pinpoint accents, that’s all,” I replied. Yeah, I have this thing for accents. It’s still not perfect, but at least I got his correctly.

“Wow, and your English is good as well… like a local already.” He smiled again. I felt my cheeks warm up. Dear me.

“Nah… it’s still not local sounding. It’s just 4 months since I arrived.”

“See… I am also here for 4 months as well, but I still have a lot to learn,” he sighed.

“Don’t worry, you’ll get it soon enough.” I tried to cheer him up, and it seemed to work.

We got to talk about a bit more before a few more people arrived. I counted the people who were present. There will be 8 of us apparently working for tonight’s event.
-----

After a few more minutes, the coordinator finally arrived. He did a roll call, and then explained the event and what we have to do in a straight-forward manner. And it just sent me goosebumps.

“Ok, tonight’s event is just plain simple. You will have to serve hot chocolates and canapés to the guests here, in Alexandra Burke’s mini concert courtesy of Heart FM.”

“Who’s Alexandra Burke?” Olya whispered.

“Really now, Olya? Haha!” I snickered.

“Hey man, I’m not joking. I don’t listen to British radio stations.” He defended his cluelessness. Did I mention that I really like clueless guys?

“But still. Well, I understand, since you just arrived this year. Burke was the winner of X Factor 2008. She like, sold millions of albums since then. She’s considered to be the second most famous contestant after Leona Lewis.”

“Oh, I know Leona, but not her. I catered for Leona a few weeks ago, also here.” He said smugly.

My eyes widened. “Lucky bloke! But no worries. Alexandra is fine for a first timer like me. And you should listen to more British music from now on, yeah?”
-----

I almost struggled at the tray of canapés I was holding as I passed by Alexandra Burke by the backstage room.

I was literally like, a few inches away from her. She looks stunning I have to say. There’s something alluring in her. It’s a very rare comment from someone who digs Caucasian blokes. Bad thing we weren't allowed to take pictures. We were only allowed to serve. Oh the perks.

After serving a few more trays to the guests, it was time for Burke to perform. The coordinator was kind enough to let us rest and watch the gig at the rear corner of the room.

As usual, she sang all of her signature songs, including a dance number medley from Michael Jackson’s songs. Her dance moves were wicked, but I got distracted by her backup dancers, especially the hunky rugged White guy at the left. Plain white T-shirt + baseball cap + black fit trousers = oozing hotness.

I tried to keep my composure, when Olya whispered again. “She has a really good voice.”

“Yeah, I agree. She dances great as well,” I replied, not removing my gaze from the backup dancer.

I was snapped back to reality when Burke started to talk.

“Here’s my newest single, and for those who know the lyrics, just sing along.”

It all went magical when her voice resonated across the room. It’s just a guitarist and her. No special gimmicks. Just her voice.

You lift me up
And knock me down
I'm never sure just what to feel when you're around
I speak my heart
But don't know why
Cause you don't never really say what's on your mind

Is it just me or is the song speaking to me, as if it’s relaying a message?

It's like I'm walking on broken glass
I wanna know but i don't wanna ask


I wanna know… what the hell Art is thinking, but I am such a coward to even ask.

So say you love me
Or say you need me
Don't let the silence
Do the talking
Just say you want me
Or you don't need me
Don't let the silence
Do the talking

Don’t let the silence do the talking eh? In this situation, it might be best to keep mum for a while. Unless I am pretty sure what he really thinks, I don’t want to risk it. Friendship is fine... I guess?

But I am really getting confused. Well, no, not about my sexuality, I got that sorted out. I about how Art is acting toward me.

Sometimes, he’s sweet. Sometimes, he blabs about the ‘girl’ he’s dating.

This situation is hard, especially since all I can do is based his actions on what I know about the PLU world. I can't just ask him straightforwardly. I am such a newbie in this field. Then again, if this pagpapakiramdaman continues, it's just going be frustrating for me altogether.

Also, one has to add the fact that I am holding such naiveté in situations like these. I have skeletons, well hidden at the back of my wardrobe. I dunno how to act whenever my heart feels fluttery or something.
-----

“Hey Josh, we’re finished. We can leave already.” Olya tapped my shoulder. I think I was pondering too much that I didn’t notice that the gig was over.

We scurried to the backroom to get our stuff, and we then put our coats on. I felt fulfilled as it was a nice first catering experience for yours truly.

Olya and I went out the café and braved the icy winds outside.

“See ya, Olya. I hope I can work with you again.” I waved at him as he headed off the bus stop near the Natural History Museum.

“Same here Josh. Take care, yeah?” He waved back. As soon as he alighted on a bus, I headed off the Tube station, with the same thought lingering on my head ever since Burke sang that song.

Don’t let the silence do the talking.


No comments: