Thursday 12 August 2010

Sainsbury Blues


Tito, can’t you take me to Trafalgar Square?”

We were in Sainsbury’s for the fourth consecutive day. He has this weird inclination to shop for reduced food prices. Since food in London can be very expensive, people will scamper for them. Every 7PM, any item that will expire the day after are greatly reduced by as much as 70%. So a 5-pound whole chicken will just cost 1 quid after 7.

When my uncle first brought me to Sainsbury’s, I like a child being taken to the grocery for the first time. I was so keen on checking out all the commodities available in Britain. Mince pies…. Trifle cheesecakes… Lincolnshire sausages. I can sit at home all day and munch those delectable treats.

Since then, he just kept on bringing me back to the huge Sainsbury’s in Charlton. Don’t get me wrong. I just want to visit Big Ben. Hello, it has been a week since I arrived.

So far, I’ve just been in nearby towns like Lewisham and Blackheath. I haven’t been to central London yet, apart from my university. This is madness.

“Yeah, soon, after we’ve finished our groceries,” he replied.

Yeah right… It’s already 7:30PM, but since the sun sets at about 9 PM, it looks like it’s only 4 in the afternoon.

That’s it. Tomorrow, I will travel to central London by myself. 

No comments: