Sunday 22 August 2010

320-Pound Room


“Here you go… 320 pounds for the deposit, and another 320 for the first month.”

My hands trembled as I was about to give half of my total money to a total stranger. Well, he’s not really a total stranger. He will be my landlord for the next few months.

Mike took the money from me. “Thanks! And welcome home then! Cheers to that!”

He prepared two glasses of wine for the both of us, as a way of welcoming me in his flat. We gave each other a toast.

His flat was really wicked I should say. I really like the minimalist feeling. 2 bedrooms, a living room, a bathroom, and a patio, right in the middle of Catford. Not to mention that he’s gay.

And yes, he has a boyfriend. Too bad… but since he’s already 30 (I think), I really didn’t mind. That is why the contract is temporary. His boyfriend will move in to his flat in a few months’ time.

It all began when saw his advert in Gumtree. This wasn’t my first choice actually. I actually chose a house in Lee, near Hither Green. To cut the long story short, the room to let in Lee was withdrawn because the old tenant had changed his mind and will not move anymore.

I had to look for a replacement ASAP, as my uncle’s employer will arrive in a couple of days. It wouldn’t be ideal for him to see me sleeping in his son’s room.

I wouldn’t want to leave Mike’s flat, but with 320 quid a month, I will be in for a bumpy ride indeed.

No comments: