Monday 16 August 2010

The Meet and Greet


The week didn’t start off as planned when I was 10 minutes late for my first class in university.

No, I didn’t get lost. Actually, I allotted an hour just to familiarize myself with how commuters make their way to their respective destinations. The train I was riding on got delayed by more than 20 minutes. Damn it. Not so efficient now, innit?

It was embarrassing in any way. I was never late in any of my first day classes back home. This should be no exception.

Thankfully, it wasn’t just me who was late. A lot were running ahead of me in order not to aggravate the teacher.

I quickly found a seat between two Indians. They introduced themselves as Amir and Hassan.

Hmm… what familiar names.

The course, named Managerial Communication, was really just a revision for me because Communications was one of my major courses back in college. Amir kept on asking me a lot of questions about the sender and the receiver, and I can’t help but to help the poor guy. He’s a doctor back in India.

Anyway, I was talking to my seatmates during break time when I overheard two girls in front of me talking, but I am not sure if I am hearing it correctly. Are they speaking in Tagalog?

But before I can assess even further, the class started again.
-----

I was in the registrar’s office to ask if I can change my mailing address.

Ano ba yan! Ang haba ng pila! (What the hell, the queue’s really long!)”

I tried not to look obvious, but I think I still was when I turned my head to the source as quickly as possible.

Then I saw those two girls again.

I knew it. They’re Filipino! They look mestiza to me. At last, I am not alone.

I have to devise a plan on how to approach them without looking too desperate.

*ring*

I checked my phone. It’s Uncle Riz. Perfect.

I answered my phone, and tried to position myself as close to them as possible. And then I started to talk in Tagalog.

”Yeah, I’ll buy something at Lewisham first then I’ll go straight there,” I said in Filipino. I noticed that the two girls were already looking at me. Success.

“Ok see you then, Josh. Bye!”

“Bye!” I ended the call, just in the nick of time.

“Hello, kuya. Musta? Good thing there’s a Pinoy in this school!” As expected, one of the girls approached me. She was wearing very thick glasses. Studious much?

“Wow, you’re Filipino? You look Chinese!” said the other girl. She has this countryside accent, but I can’t pinpoint which province she's from exactly.

“I’m Josh. Yeah, I’m half Chinese. What are your names?”

“I’m Gene, and this is Tina,” said the girl with the glasses.

“How long have you been in the UK?” asked the girl named Tina.

“Oh just for two weeks.” Their eyes widened.

“Wow, bagong dating (new arrival)! We’re here for almost a year already,” said Gene.

We talked for a bit more, and exchanged contact details. I was about to leave when another Filipino came.

“Hey! Look Art, we have a Filipino classmate!” Gene exclaimed.

“Hey, I’m Art,” said the guy. Judging by his features, he’s a few years older than me. He has this probinsyano aura, but there’s something about his face that I fancy… I just can’t pinpoint it.

“Hi, I’m Josh.” We shook hands. His hands are a bit bigger and more slender than mine.

“I have to go now, my uncle’s waiting,” I said.

“Ok then… take care Josh! See ya next week!” said Gene.

As I walked to London Bridge Station looking for the earliest train to Blackheath, I can’t help but wonder… can they be the next Trix, or Stacey, or Sam?

No comments: