Thursday 28 October 2010

The Report that Pwned



This doesn’t feel right.

As Gene, Tina, Art, and I entered the classroom after a quick break, our classmates just kept on staring at the four of us.

It was the second half of the Managerial Communication group reports. The four of us were among the first ones who presented. I thought it was just a normal reporting day, but I just realised that it was more than that.

Before we went for the break, a lot of my classmates circled around me.

“Hey, you sound like a lecturer… Excellent,” said one black guy.

“Wow, you were really good. You will be a good manager someday,” said another Indian girl.

I really am confused. I just did the report the normal way I would’ve done back home. I might get a C+ back in college based on my performance a while ago. But here, a distinction can be probable, based on my classmates’ comments.

“You Filipinos sound really assertive. Your friend’s English is excellent!” a classmate said to Art.

Now I understand. Since Filipinos were taught in English ever since kindergarten, we naturally have the grasp of the language unlike other nationalities It became more prominent as Gene reported with her pure American accent, while I did mine with a British American accent.

Only Art and Tina reported with their very thick promdi accents. Nakakahiya.

Yeah, I know, I am so mean.
----

It was the second half of reporting, and it was Akhal’s group turn to report.

See, in our class full of Africans and Indians, there’s not much good-looking blokes to choose from, really. But the Turkish are another thing. Especially him.

I’ve been eyeing him ever since class started. With his rugged look, short David Archuleta-ish hair, matangos na nose, and bluish grey eyes, and his excellent taste for fashion, he is an item.

Not to mention his intellectual ability’s fairly high after he answered a very hard accounting question on the board one time.

The way he spoke in his report was outstanding for an Eastern European. He has a good command of the language. His voice was crystal clear and soothing to one’s ear. It really got me hooked up.

I can say that he’s my class crush. Now, if only he were gay as well.

As if.

----

“Where are we going again?” I asked Art.

We had just alighted at Embankment Station. It was already half 5.

“Let’s just go to Starbucks first. Your work starts at 6, yeah?” he said.

“But…“ I don’t really have the time and money to have another cup of coffee.

“Come on, just accompany me… Please?” Damn it… if it weren’t for his unusual infectious smile, I wouldn’t have given in.
-----


“Here’s your Caramel Macchiato, mate.” Art gave me the tall cup I ordered.

I was reading the front page of the Evening Standard today. Another Tube strike coming soon. Oh great.

“Finally, the reports are over,” Art exclaimed. “I hope we get to pwn our other classmates who do nothing but blabber.”

“Of course, we pwned them. Did you notice the way they looked at us after the break? They can’t believe that we have The Voices.” Well, normally, since they are the ones who recite frequently, we just let them be keeping our mouths shut. That’s why it’s practically the first time our classmates heard us speak.

“Haha. But well, you and Gene were the best ones, I think. Your accent was wicked, but you still shift to the American one from time to time. Hahaha!” I think I blushed a bit when he said that.

“You’re not bad as well,” I said half-heartedly. Well, I am partly lying since Art reported with a very strong promdi accent…. A slight major turn off for a Manilenyo like me.

“Yeah, if only Hoang didn’t take too long on the introduction, I would’ve spoken a bit more,” he said. Thank God his groupmate went over the time. I am such a bad arse.

“Oh, it’s nearly 6, I have to go Art,” I said, as I packed my stuff. “How much is the Macchiato?”

“Oh, no worries… my treat for today, for a job well done.” He smirked again.

“Eh, no need to. Cmon how much?” I was careful not to push him too much, since he might really let me pay for the drink.

“No no Josh, just think of it as an apology for last week,” he winked.

I was kind of speechless once again. Why does my mouth fail me whenever I am with Art?

“Go, Josh, your manager might kill you!” He’s already at the entrance door.

“Fine fine wait up!”

So, he treated me. There isn’t any meaning aside from the fact that he is really liable for the treachery last week… right?

My mind is saying one thing, but my heart is saying another thing.

I am really weak when it comes to sweet petty things such as these.

I think I am having a serious crush on him. Tsk.

No comments: