Tuesday 28 September 2010

A Day at Kensington


“You’re late,” Art said as he waved at me in front of South Kensington station.

“Sorry, mate, train’s delayed,” I said apologetically.

“Yeah no worries. Off we go then! I’ll show you around here,” he smiled at me.

As much as I want to think that this is only a friendly meet-up, I can’t help but think if this is a date or not. Not that I really fancy him, but there’s something in Art that lures me in.

Is it his very cute smile? Or is it his kindness that I don’t get from other blokes out there?

His text a few days ago was just too hard to resist. He wanted me to show around Kensington, one of London’s most high-end boroughs. Property prices can reach millions of pounds here.

“What’s that?” I asked. We were in this building with a dome-shaped roof.

“Oh, that’s Royal Albert Hall,” he said. “Lovely, just stand there, and I’ll take a pic.” He tested his photographic skills as he took his iPhone from his sling bag and adjusted the angle.

His enthusiasm is just so infectious. I can’t help but smile.

Before I can approach him to check how well he took the shot, he ushered me to pose by the stairs leading to Hyde Park.

“C’mon Josh! Act like a tourist just this one time! Walang hiya-hiyaaan!” he insisted as he managed to snap another candid shot of me.

Well, it’s true. I’ve learned to act like a Londoner within just a few weeks. Being a tourist again is hard in its own way.

“Great pic, mate! C’mon, I’ll show you where I’ve work before,” he said.
-----

“So, is this the place?” I asked. We were standing in front of a very minimalist building.

“Yes, it’s Imperial College London. Too bad I have to give up my job here as a document controller since I got a job offer from a Filipino bank here,” he said. “I should’ve referred you here mate… They pay high!”

“Yeah, too bad indeed,” I muttered. My current job only pays minimum wage, and it’s not enough to make ends meet.

We strolled around the area for a few more minutes before I heard my tummy growl. He must’ve heard it since he asked where I'd want to eat.

“Well, I dunno. Any cheap place to eat in this high class borough?” I asked sarcastically.

“Erm, McDo in High Street Kensington?” He seemed to play around with my sarcastic tone.

“Bring it on. Kudos to the 1.99 Deli of the Day. Haha!” I said.
----

“So why did you come here to the UK?”

I stopped munching my Chicken Sandwich. What a very serious question to ask, I thought.

“Erm, same as everyone. To  have a good life I suppose… And to have no restrictions at all when visiting the EU or the US,” I said. “How about you?”

“Of course, the same as you. Good thing you started your journey at an early age.” He looked at me intensively, as if he’s studying my facial features.

“But you’re only 29,” I snickered. “It’s not too late!”

Bastos ka! I am only turning 26 this November ok?!” he said defiantly.

“But seriously, Art. If only we’re already stable in the UK, we can do anything we want.”

“Yeah I agree mate. It’s such a hassle to hold a student visa. Many big companies revoke their job offers as soon as they find out that you hold one,” he’s saying it as if it’s based from experience.

So he talked more about how he almost got an apprenticeship position in IBM but was cancelled because of his visa status. We also got to talk about our prospects here in London.

“If I just get a proper 9-5 job, we can go to West End and do some shopping every week,” I said.

“Indeed. Only one more year before we can transfer to a proper work visa.” That’s what I like about Art… talking about the very uncertain future.

We talked more about our future plans and aspirations. But then, Art made a comment that struck me.

“Josh, since it’ll be wintertime soon, you have to find someone to keep you warm during the cold months.”

I was speechless at this point.

“Hah? Are you kidding me?”

“No, I’m not,” he said with indignation. “Just try Lovestruck.com out and you’ll see.” He smirked again.

“Don’t tell me you’ve tried it already,” I jested.

“Yeah, I did, and I found this cool British gal, and we just went on a date at the Royal Air Force Museum.”

I just stared at him in disbelief. Someone like him to do something like that? It’s absurd in its own way.

I was not liking the conversation as I tried to press him further about the girl’s background. He just kept his mouth shut for the whole duration of the meal.

Before I can insist him further on spilling out the beans, he said that he has to go home since he has an appointment to attend to. Tsk.
-----

“Hmm, if you want to pay the instalment on time, you must save like 200 pounds every month,” Art said, as the Circle line train we’re riding on moved past Gloucester Road station.

“It would be a challenge for me then. My take home pay after rent and transpo is like -240 quid.”

“Yeah, I think you should look for one more job. I’d like to help you but our bank’s under freeze hiring at the moment,” Art said.

We talked a bit more before he got off at Victoria station. As I saw him walking farther and farther away, a lot of questions popped out.

Um, who the hell is he dating? Why is he so secretive about it?

And why is my gaydar acting up whenever I’m with him?

Is it because I wanted him to be one so that I can have someone to talk to in a faraway land?

Josh, you’re making this so complicated.

No comments: