Thursday 9 September 2010

A Peek at Piccadilly


For the second time, Gene and her gang dragged me to see and enjoy London’s marvelous sights once again.

This time, we were in Piccadilly Circus and neighbouring Chinatown.

It is a misnomer to name the circle (the QC Circle type) a ‘circus’, but that’s what how the Romans called it. I really imagined beforehand that there were elephants and ringmasters roaming around Piccadilly and Oxford Street.

When we approached the Circus, I saw the iconic Sanyo logo together with other electronic billboards. With the famous red buses circling around the roundabout and the people from all over the world walking in all directions and taking pictures, it was London in its purest form.

Art, as expected, ushered me to stand on the centre of the Circus, so that he can take a picture of me with Sanyo and the red buses.

It was almost 7 in the evening. We decided to traverse Gerrard Street to find an affordable place to eat. Finally, we found a place that does Chinese buffet.
-----

“8 quid?! Seriously?” I said as I tried to see if I still have some cash with me. Yes I still have a tenner, thank God.

“Just get used to the prices will ya?” Tina jeered.

How can I get used to these overinflated prices when my current income is nil. Nil. London is really notorious for its high cost of living. It is seriously a bad place to be unemployed. What did I just get into?

We then went out the restaurant and turned right at the corner, passing by the theatre the does Les Miserables. Given time and money, I will surely watch one of the musicals playing on the West End.

We continued walking until Gene pointed something (or someone) out.

“Pink leotards,” she snickered. She was pointing on two guys wearing very skimpy neon pink leotards.

I think I knew where we were. I looked around. There were a lot of gays roaming around, either with their friends or their partners.

We were in Soho, London’s gay district.

I already did a bit of research about the city's gay life. It's one of the cities that has a lot to offer, alongside Paris and Montreal. Well, not that I want to hook up with someone and get laid a few hours later. That's the last thing that I will ever do.... maybe out of desperation.

I studied the place carefully. There were pubs all around the area with the famous rainbow colour symbol signifying that the place is LGBT friendly. There were also a lot of sex shops and hell knows what the hell's happening right at that moment. Some people were in drag, and some were just in their plain outfits. And some were just plain smokin’ hot.

I think I got a bit carried away in checking the hot Caucasian blokes out when Art called my name.

“Let’s get going. We still have to catch the Tube.”

Oops. I have to be careful. London might be an open-minded metropolis, but I’m just a newbie in here. I don’t want to get myself caught, basing from Gene’s earlier comment.

I still have to see if they’re homophobes or not.

No comments: