Monday 27 September 2010

Sushi Sanity



“You start work tomorrow. Be here at 6, ok?” said Nam, my new manager.

After almost 2 months of constant searching, I finally got a job. I don’t have to regret going to Shepherd’s Bush to play some pool anymore.

It’s not a glamorous one I should say… I will be just a mere kitchen porter in a Japanese take-away food chain outlet. Then again, I don’t want to burden my parents any longer. I have to help them subsidise the cost of studying in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

It is kind of ironic when the restaurant serves Japanese food, but all the staff (including the manager) are Korean.

I got trained by the current porter called Sing a while ago, and it was really a struggle since I can’t understand a word he’s saying.

Oo na… I am the arrogant one. But seriously, I do have communication problems when I talk to the following races: East Asian, African, and Indian. They have very thick accents that are not really comprehensible to the non-native English speakers from other nationalities.

I do hope I get this right, since I will be all alone next week, washing tons and tons of containers.

But do see the bright side Josh, as you can eat and take all the sushi you want.

All the sushi you want. Groan.

No comments: