Monday 10 January 2011

Obfuscation


“In third place, is Mr. Dubovie.”

I can hear a pin drop. We were having classes regarding information security when someone entered, saying that he was there to award the top three merit students in our batch.

I quivered as I was standing up to get recognised by the whole class. I limped a bit as I was going out to reach for the certificate.

“Come on now, do not be shy! I am the one getting embarrassed here,” said the award giver.

Seriously, it was so sudden that words couldn’t escape my mouth at all. My vision and hearing were still blurry because of the claps and cheers I can see and hear. I can’t see Art and Tina, but somewhere amongst the crowd, it seemed that I can hear their jeers and woohoos as well.

After shaking hands, I zoomed back to my seat to prevent further discomfiture. I’m really not that great when it comes to public events, especially when I am the one being placed in the hot seat. Calling my attention is not one of my strong points, and I hate being recognised for doing something exemplary.

My face went red as my seatmate patted me coupled with a greeting of congratulations. The Filipinos at the front mouthed ‘congrats’ while waving at me. I can’t take the humiliation anymore. Haha.

After the break, as I was about to sigh and take a quick nap, someone hugged me from behind. I turned to see who it was.

With his wide smile and cute dimples, it was Art. Oh ‘twas a long time since I last saw him. I still have some questions regarding his two failed invites during the festive break.

He kept on muttering words of kudos, but my head just filtered all the sound resonating in the classroom. All I can feel were his arms as he patted me like a father congratulating his son of a job well done. My heart was still beating a bit faster a couple of seconds after he let go of me.

“Josh, libre, libre!” He chanted. Tina joined him, and it was really embarrassing. I wanted to evaporate on the spot.

Oh, and they didn’t even stop as we made our way to the common room to buy some snacks from the vendo. Gene arrived as well and warbled with those two as they continued to mortify and haunt me.

As soon as break’s over, I ushered Art and Tina to transfer beside me because there’re two vacant seats beside me.

Yawn. Lecture was getting a bit boring even though the lecturer had impeccable British accent. I was mouthing and repeating what he’s saying every now and then.

“What’s obfuscation?” Tina whispered unexpectedly.

I was wondering where the hell she got that word. I checked the lecturer’s PowerPoint, and it was there.

After checking it on my mobile, Dictionary.com finally enlightened me. It meant confused, difficult to understand.

“You’re obfuscating me,” I addressed to the both of them, while snickering. For all they know, I was trying to send mixed signals as well.

“You’re obfuscating me,” I said again, while my eyes were just on Art. He was just laughing, apparently unaware of what the hell I was trying to address. I didn’t need to worry, because it seemed that it was too subtle to be even picked up.

You are really obfuscating me. Some of my mates were already discouraging me from continuing to pursue this ‘roundabout relationship.’ The car cannot go on circles forever, you know.

That is why, I will try to convey a couple more hints starting from today. It’s now or never.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

2 comments:

Basti said...

Congratulations for getting a merit
and for having the courage to convey hints to your friends. haha

And thanks for granting my request ;)

Josh said...

Hahaha basti talaga. Thanks anyway.

No problem. See, at least I managed to make the post a bit longer than expected. Haha