Wednesday 12 January 2011

Biography


June 2, 2010

Hey there. How is your name related to the British entry in the Eurovision Contest?

It was the first ever instant message I got from someone in Manila Gay Guy. I just joined 2 days ago after finally accepting the inevitable truth.

That I was gay.

Within those two days, I did nothing but to peruse the blog for Dear Migs letters. Also, being the Europe freak, I downloaded and watched the Eurovision Song Contest 2010 as well, only to find out that Germany won with Lena’s Satellite. During this time, I was still waiting for updates regarding my application in a university in London.

Wow, you actually googled my name. After hitting Enter, I just put on a smug.

Before signing up to MGG, I was thinking what pseudonym I can use. Thinking about United Kingdom’s representative for Eurovision, together with the thought and prospect of going to Britain in the near future, I decided to take his name as my temporary nickname.

No, I didn’t. I actually watched the Eurovision as well.

My heart skipped a beat. A Filipino PLU, also a Eurovision fan? This is… one in a million.

With my shaky hands, I decided to type commentaries regarding the performances like there’s no tomorrow.

And that’s how the name stuck. And I don’t effing care if Josh placed last in the contest. His humility’s too hard to resist.

-----

Ok then, so you might know by now, that Josh Dubovie is not my real name. It’s just my pseudonym.

And for those who tried to google ‘me’, you will actually be directed to a real person.

And this, my friends, is the real Josh Dubovie, my first ever British crush.


Actually, now I am thinking, it’s not really creative of me to get another person’s (and an artist at that) name, for a lot of reasons.

One, who knows, his peers or agency might sue me for plagiarism.

Two, readers might imagine and fantasize that I am as cute as him. Sorry my friends, he is as cute as a button. I, on the other hand, am as cute as a scarecrow.

Is Mr. Dubovie too foreign? Should I Filipinize my surname? 

But it already stuck with my cyberfriends, and I can’t change it anymore, I guess. Furthermore, using his name can be a reminder of the time I finally accepted who I really was.

Besides, Josh Dubovie sounds good to me.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey sorry about the other day. If you really want me to call you Josh, then fine. :)