Sunday 2 January 2011

New Year Woes


“10… 9… 8… 7… 6…”

My eyes were just glued on the telly. I don’t want to miss anything.

“5… 4… 3… 2… 1!”

BOOM BOOM

As the Big Ben struck 12, the booming just went all out. We were watching the New Year countdown live on BBC1.

The London sky was just illuminated by the thousands of colourful pyrotechnic devices used in the fireworks display. The London Eye, which was the centre of the annual New Year’s exhibition, was showered with blue neon lights.

For the whole ten minutes, I was just staring at the screen, looking intently as Britain's capital showcased its celebration for 2011. It was massive. It just pwned SM Mall of Asia’s fireworks display.

I hugged my tito and tita while the crowd were singing Auld Lang Syne. I thanked them for everything they did for me during my 4.5 month-stay. Without them, I dunno how the hell I would survive.

I quickly greeted my closest friends here a happy New Year and best wishes regarding our status here in the country. We were just about to go up to eat our sumptuous media noche when my mobile beeped.

1 New Message from Art

Same to you mate, same to you. Happy New Year!

Art. I want to kill this guy for two main reasons. First, he was inviting me to go skating at Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. Of course I was interested, but I never heard from him since. When he replied back, I bailed out because (as my mind is stronger than my heart) I had to keep track of my December expenses. Ice skating was 11 quid… Too much man.

Second, he was again inviting me… to watch the fireworks in central London. Yep, you lot might think that it can be the sweetest date ever, but about 250,000 people are expected to cramp themselves in that small space in Waterloo, Westminster, and Embankment area, and not to mention that they have to endure temperatures of 2 degrees Celsius.

I've thought about it actually. I can go with him on New Year’s Eve since I've already finished my obligation with tito and tita last Christmas Eve. God that noche buena and English lunch was just heaven… It made me 5 pounds heavier though.

And then, as expected, I never heard from Art again. So fine, I decided to spend the New Year with my uncle and aunt and at one of their friend’s employer’s house in Chelsea. Sure enough, when I was on my way to meet them, Art replied again, asking me if I can accompany him to capture some videos of the countdown.

He’s just so confusing, really. I dunno how long I can keep up with him. I decided that 2011 will be different compared to the past 21 years. Either I just let him be, or I take action and get to the bottom of this.
-----


“Just choose a room, Josh,” said my aunt’s friend, who is the caretaker of the house that I will be spending the night in.

After that very scrummy media noche that consisted of beef, prawns, salmon, and noodles, we had some drinks, and after 4AM, we decided to call it a night.

I decided to tour the house a bit. Man, the house had 4 floors and a basement. There were three bedrooms, 1 master bedroom, 2 toilets plus a massive master bedroom toilet, 2 dining rooms, 2 living rooms, a library, and an entertainment room. The caretaker told me that Chelsea houses some of the most expensive properties in the UK. We’re looking at prices of about 2 million pounds, the minimum. Bless my soul.

I decided to take the first room on the right on the 2nd floor. Man, it was massive. I quickly unpacked my stuff and prepared myself for my first slumber of the year.


I lie down on the queen size bed, pondering what the future will bring me this 2011.

Career wise, I hope this will finally be the year I will make my stamp in the UK. I have this idealistic dream of mine to own a house in London, which is supposedly the city with the most ludicrous property prices. Tita Rose was very optimistic and kind to tell me that she knows that I will, someday, be able to own a house just like this one.

Well then, I am ready to face 2011 with a new hope.

Love wise, well… that would be a different story altogether. And hell no… Valentine’s Day is coming up… not again.


No comments: