Monday 2 May 2011

Royal Birthday




In a cloud of fragrant blossoms, the duo took their vows with barely a glitch or sign of last-minute nerves. The Archbishop of Canterbury, in ceremonial robes, asked William first: ''Wilt thou have this woman to thy wedded wife?'', to which he replied with a firm ''I will''.

The crowd responded by chanting “awww.” And then, tears just started flowing from my eyes.

I just had no idea how that happened. I was just there, standing by the steps in Trafalgar Square, absorbing the cheers from the crowd in this fairly cloudy morning.

But it wasn’t just an ordinary morning. It was the morning when Prince William tied the knot to commoner Kate Middleton, the new addition to the House of Windsor.

Thousands of Britons, normally reserved and timid, didn’t mind the cramped spaces, as their eyes were glued on the big screens that were set up by Nelson’s Monument. As Kate, now the Duchess of Cambridge, said her vow, seas of Union Jack flags were up in the air, signifying this once-in-a-lifetime moment.

Sure, I can just stay home and watch the replay. Sure, I can just go to work on that day to earn some money. Yes, I could've gone home after Art and Tina bailed me for the nth time after inviting me non-stop to watch it live (yes I was just alone on that day). However, It must’ve felt good to stand there, with hundreds and thousands of people, to celebrate and feel proud of themselves to be residing in Britain.

In this day, which is supposedly my birthday, it is normal to feel irritated that your special day has been overshadowed by this royal event. But it didn’t matter. Why not celebrate with them.

It was enough that Gene and the gang greeted me a Happy Royal Birthday. Surely, this day would be written in history books for generations to come.

Yes, William might have Kate, but then, Harry is still there.

And he will be mine. Lol.

3 comments:

Sebastian Cua said...

hey. happy birthday josh! love ya! ;)

Marco Makwento said...

Hi. Came across your blog while surfing through the others I chanced upon. This is a long shot and a long story. So, be prepared.

I got my UK visa and it's expiring this June 26. Was supposed to go to London last Jan for a friend's birthday party but something happened and I had to cancel that. Now, I have absolutely no reason to go there so the desire to use the visa isn't there.

Been researching and I'm not about willing to spend 100 quid a night for a decent hotel since (if I do go) I plan to stay for a week.

My question is, would it be worth going there and where's a decent place to stay in that won't be too expensive?

I apologize for making you a travel agency but I've done the whole agency thing and they suck balls big time. I'd rather get the opinion of someone who's almost a local. Would appreciate the info and help.

Josh said...

Hi Marco!

first of all, where are you currently?

in terms of hotels, 100 quid a night is utterly expensive! You can get rooms at Earls Court around £30 a night.

you can get great deals in London, since most of the sights are free anyway. For transport costs, you can save a lot on Oyster cards.

you say that you have friends here. where do they live? and maybe you can stay with them or something?

anyway, if you have more questions, just drop a mail at euro_boy@rocketmail.com. cheers!